Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back to the beginning...


I realized that if I am going to blog about my quilting, I should have started with how I was introduced to quilting in the first place. My mother-in-law worked with me and my 4th grade class in creating a classroom quilt. Each student received a white square and used crayons to draw their favorite memory of 4th grade. My mother-in-law sewed on black borders and yellow school-themed squares. I absolutely love the border on this quilt - a black border with a colorful alphabet. The quilt was quilted with a swirl pattern and backed with a heavy fabric that was "go green" themed. While the quilt was being assembled the students researched topics associated with quilting - terms, the process, hidden codes in underground railroad quilts, and more. Please read the newspaper article about our class quilt!

After that, I guess I was bit by the quilting bug. I have the fabric for many projects chosen and have the tops of a few more finished. I will be posting pictures and descriptions in the coming weeks!

0 comments: