Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Catching up on the blog....

Last Friday, my mother-in-law came to my clasroom to give my students the quilt she made with them this year.  Last year when she thought of the project and came to my class, I was interested in quilting and after she was finished with my classroom quilt, I asked my mother-in-law if she would help me make quilt.  Yeah, that was 1 year and 20 quilts ago.... You think I'm addicted???

Anyway, the kids LOVED their kite quilt!  They set up museum "exhibits" about quilting - student made websites, book reviews about books about quilts, presentations about secret codes in underground railroad quilts, the tools you need to make a quilt, and more.  Students, faculty, and parents came to visit our "museum" and were just blown away by the kite quilt.  Here are some pictures of the quilt:





Each student wrote a "diamond" poem on a kite quilt block.  Some blocks were embellished like the one with all the students names...


A special touch was added by using fabric you can print on to add a picture of our class...




The kids loved it!  It is such a wonderful experience for them to be part of something that is hand-made.  I feel so lucky to have such a crafty, talented, and loving mother-in-law!!!  Here are pictures of my class looking at their quilt and my mother-in-law with my class...









See, I told you I have to catch up!  Tonight I made a rag quilt with some scraps I had.  My mother-in-law bought the Accu-Cut at the quilt show a few weeks back so I bought the template for the rag quilt.  Let me tell you - what a timesaver!!!  After it was cut out, it only took me about an hour and a half to make this whold quilt.  It was even, easy to sew, and "ragged" beautifully!  What a great investment -  I can't wait to use it again!









0 comments: