Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Project and Lots to Finish!

Ok so I have a few things started that I need to finish:
My dad's "gear head" quilt
Big Jet's quilt
My dragonfly quilt needs a border
I can't find a dreamcatcher border that matches my S.W. quilt

ANYWAY, I am thinking about making a quilt with the students at my school about a book we are all reading. I teach 4th grade but the entire school (1 - 6) is reading a form of "Three Cups of Tea" - an amazing story about an American who gets lost and injured mountain climbing and ends up in a village of Afghanistan. He stays in the village for a few months. The first time you are invited into somebody's home you are given a cup of tea and you are considered a stranger. The second time you are offered a cup of tea in someone's home you are considered a friend. The third time you are offered tea in someone's home you are considered family. The man was inspired by hearing children's voices as they practiced their school lessons outside in the dirt with sticks and he knew he wanted to help. He raised money and has been building schools for these children ever since. The older kids are reading the paperback and the younger kids are reading the picture book. I was thinking about having some kids design tea cups and maybe try to have the older kids recreate the "dolls" that are used in the illustrations. There is a great link here to see and understand what I mean by "dolls". If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

0 comments: